Yan's Corner - In Touch

Friday, March 31, 2006

A Tale of Two Birds


yingks asked,

I am a positive pessimist. Are you?

According to this young man,
a positive pessimist is one who envisages the worse possible situation and plans how to avoid it. He anticipates a glommy tomorrow, and thus does what he can today to make tomorrow a bright and lovely day.
That leads me to the tale of two birds. These two birds react differently to the threat of a storm. First, the turkey. The turkey reacts by running under a barn, hoping the storm won't come near.

Then, the eagle. The eagle rides the air currents of the approaching storm knowing that it will be carried higher in the sky and it can soar on its own.

Which are you? A turkey or an eagle?

I have just sent a young journalist to A'Fomosa for a working trip. He came back and tell me, "I can fly!"

I said, you did not fly. Obviously offended, he said, well, at least I dare to embrace the wind.

It really takes a lot of faith to be an eagle! On this last day of March, looking back over the 31-day period of loss and uncertainty in my life, in the life of friends, I find the new meaning to the tale of the two birds.

Should I live in content in the barnyard of comfort pretending that all the securities I need is there? Or should I soar like an eagle out of my comfort zone beleving that God wants me to soar higher in my relationship with Him?

4 comment(s):

The tougher the situation, the higher the eagle rises. The more pessimism, the greater positivity churned!

This reminds me of a CS Lewis portion which I read last night. He said:
Very often what God first helps us towards is not the virtue itself but just this power of always trying again... this process trains us in habits of the soul which are more important still. It cures our illusions about ourselves and teaches us to depend on God.

And so the greater the storm, the tougher it is to fly...but the stronger we become! May you have a blessed month ahead, Yan!:)

By Blogger YingKs, at 12:02 pm  

Yan:

thanks for the story;
jeff uses the little bird,
desi uses the BIG bird -- passing the buck for any information a Blogger uses for his/her that goes awry.

I pity the small and BIG birds.
I wanna be a DRAGon!:)

PS: THat reminds me, I must contact an "Eagle's Wing" to write for Campus Notes @yvonnefoong.com

By Blogger desiderata, at 12:23 pm  

Yan,

Nothing is permanent, the finality of death is certain.

An adventurous eagle, taking the risk to soar, even when there could be lightning in a storm, is doing what God has given to it - the ability to fly.

On the other hand, the turkey is not blessed with the gift of flight, therefore, has to retreat to the barnyard in an imminent storm.

One is as brave and optimistic as the other; both are merely performing what God has endowed upon them, and should surrender to His designs/plans for them, even at the risk of death.

On this basis, I believe the choice of being a turkey or an eagle does not really matter. What matters most is to believe that He has plans for us, He knows what is best for us, and to live according to His will (our conscience can be our guide). We are created different from one another, as such, we will be taking different routes, reacting NOT in the same way to common threats, but will meet the same finality of death - the gateway to God.

By Blogger Joepsc, at 1:44 pm  

Hi yan. Did you receive my emails?

By Blogger Yvonne Foong, at 1:15 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home