Yan's Corner - In Touch

Monday, March 20, 2006

Status of Our Accounts

At the memorial service of my late uncle yesterday, the Second Finance Minister, Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh recalled my late uncle telling him that each one of us should have two accounts.

One account is your personal saving accounts. For this account, it is best that the deposits be more than the withdrawals so that there is always balances for the rainy days.

As for the other account, it is our social responsibility. What we draw from the society must be equal to what we give back (deposit) to the society. It is also best that the desposit be always more than the withdrawal.

That reminds me of the emotional bank account -

The emotional bank account (EBA) is a metaphor for the amount of trust that exists in a relaitonship. It suggests that every interaction with another human being may be classified as a deposit or withdrawal.
Deposits build and repair trust in relationships. Withdrawals lessen trust in relationships.

- Stephen Covey

What are the deposits in the EBA?

Kindness and Courtesy
Keeping Promises
Honouring Expectations
Loyalty to the Absent (when you say something about some, say it in front of that person)
Making Aplogies

The Withdrawals?

Unkindness and Discourtesy
Breaking Promises
Violating Expectations
Disloyalty, Duplicity (double-minded)
Pride, conceit, arrogance.

Yan's thoughts -

EBA is different from the bank account in that you don't deposit in order to make withdrawals! Deposit has to be done with sincerity.

Keep depositing.

10 comment(s):

I know this is a metaphor, but just imagine having an account for every emotion.

When you're happy, deposit some money. When you're sad, deposit some money also.

What a good way to save money! Let's go back to having piggy banks.

By Blogger Yvonne Foong, at 11:23 am  

Hi, Yan,

Thanks for your numerous deposits in our "joint" account; unfortunately, I have overdrawn.

As always, nice sharing from you!

By Blogger Joepsc, at 1:19 pm  

yan:
I'm NOT into account-ing.

I learnt from fishtail and another Marketeer a less demanding -ting, hope you'd settle for that -- from Super Virgo and MATTA fares:
dis-counting:)
Lol! -- another blogsyellar I learnt from my Y&A frens!:)

By Blogger desiderata, at 6:34 pm  

Yvonne,

Sounds interesting!

Unfortunately, we (adults like me lah) tend to forget about the piggy bank business now! We do not seem to teach our children about budgetting and value of money.

My teenage girl joined a two-night camp at a resort nearby, a sort of five-star hotel for a prayer camp. It's 5-star prayer camp! While we in Girls' Brigade are calculating every sens to make sure it makes sense, yet young girls do not quite like the idea of budgetting!

Well?

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 12:42 pm  

Desi,

Remember? I bought a book that teaches me 100 ways to pay less tax at MPH, Mid-Valley. I have not found one that I can use and give me a peaceful sleep.

That reminds of me of a story of a man who wrote a letter to the IRD saying, "I haven't been able to sleep because last year, when I filled out my income tax report, i deliberately misrepresented my income. I am enclosing a check for $150, and if I still can't sleep, I'll send you the rest."

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 12:51 pm  

Joe,

Have you? No, you have not. I have drawn much from your poems!

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 12:52 pm  

Though I don't comment much (this is only my second time) but I read your posts regularly. Your encouraging thoughts make wonderful EBA deposits.

By Blogger Lump Of Clay, at 2:31 pm  

Since we are on IRD, Desi, are you going to remind Yan that there is only one way to pay less tax, and that is to evade? The other 99 ways simply go round and round the bush over that one way, haha!

By Blogger fishtail, at 11:35 pm  

a lump of clay,

Yes, I remember you. I also remember you being prayed for by a doc at his clinic some many months ago. I am sure that doc has much reserves in his EBA.

Thanks for visiting.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 7:35 am  

fishtail,

Wonder if the cost of the book teaching me 100 ways to pay less tax is tax deductible!

Still wondering.

But, at least I know one thing - I have not paid too much tax, from the book I learnt.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 7:37 am  

Post a comment

<< Home