Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Keep Me In Your Heart

This is not a good month. A number of things happened. And the month is not over yet. And even in April, it’s Ching Ming!

First, it was the death of Ker-May, a dear friend in Girls’ Brigade. Ker-May was only 38.

It followed with the death of my auntie, my late father’s sister-in-law. She was 88.

My colleague’s father died of cancer at the age of 59 the following week.

The husband of another dear friend in Girls’ Brigade met in a road accident with head injuries. At this moment of writing, he is still in ICU.

Then, this morning, the father of a dear friend also passed on. I have wanted to meet him during the coming Easter week in person when I have a trip to Sing-Land. I want to meet this fine man who has raised such fine child as this dear friend and probably to learn some secrets from him.

Are you hearing about a lot about people dying these days? Again and again, we say, “Life is so fragile.” Yet, we continue to waste so precious a gift as life.

May be I am getting old. Well, I am getting old.

Warren Zevon’s Keep Me In Your Heart has not been more meaningful to me any other time than today –

Shadows are falling and I’m running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for a while

If I leave you it doesn’t mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for awhile

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
Keep me in your heart for awhile

There’s a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sometimes when you’re doing simple things around the house
May be you’ll think of me and smile

You know I’m tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view

When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you.

Warren Zevon is a singer-songwriter who died of lung cancer in September 2003. A year before his death, his friend David Letterman asked what he intended to do with the time he had left, Sevon replied that he intended to enjoy every sandwich. There is really much wisdom in learning to “enjoy every sandwich”. During Zevon’s last year, he spent much of his limited time with his two grown-up children.

This post is specially for this dear friend in Sing-Land at the time of his loss – I’m sure he will keep his father in his heart for a long, long time.

I have earlier sent him a poem, I am Not Gone, and thought many of my friends here would be touched by this poem, copyright of wisehearts.com:

I am not gone

I am not gone, I am changed.
Have faith and please believe me.
God did not take me away from you,
He split the skies and received me.

Now ...

I'm an echo in your laughter,
a reflection in your tears,
an extra thread of strength
to help you overcome your fears.

I'm an added ray of sunshine,
more joy for you to share,
a fragrance of the life you live.
Wherever you are - I am there.

4 comment(s):

i feel sorry to hear about that.

the one who has created the world promised paradise for the believers through the message the god has sent trough his messangers and prophets.

I believe in that

By Anonymous yasser, at 6:58 am  

Yes indeed, life is fragile.

Thanks for sharing the poem. It made me stood still.

I know the feeling when all hits together. Condolences; but assured they will be in a better place. They are in paradise.

By Blogger Twisted Heels, at 5:33 pm  

David Letterman, eh?

I connect so much with him -- even his nama gives out literary and humourous bytes/vibes.

Appropriately my choice today is also poetic -- I walk the line, wished I had the Blackman's cash!:)

By Blogger desiderata, at 6:34 pm  

I love the poem. It's really beautiful ... And I am sorry to hear about the bad news ... Yeah, indeed life's so fragile. Sigh.

My condolences ...

By Anonymous kyels, at 7:08 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home