Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Adding Life to Years



"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man."
Psalm 112:4

I finished reading “Add Life to Your Years” during my last trip to Kuala Lumpur. Probably, the only thing I enjoy while I am on business trip is being able to read books.

“Add Life to Your Years” is a collection of stories of the older adults who are still actively pursuing their personal growth, challenging themselves to achieve new goals, and continue to live in the light of God’s amazing grace.

I am not going to write a book review. Rather, the reason of picking up this book from my Church library last Sunday. Here it goes -

During my young days, I loved photography. Together with Ellen, an ex-colleague and good friend, we traveled far and near Sibu town on our bicycle to take photographs. Later, Ellen bought a motorcycle, so we traveled on motorcycle and was able to travel further away from town. Then, Ellen started dating one of the guy from the photography club, we traveled by car and could travel even further. We also joined trips to longhouses. Those were the happy days.

Soon, Ellen married his photography boyfriend. Trips to take photographs became fewer and soon, I was totally left out!

Recently, I have made an effort to include a picture to complement my words. I have been thinking – when can I pick up that passions on photography art again?

The book, Add Life to Your Years with a small print, Aging with passion and purpose, caught me ….

I remember few months ago a long time friend who has been very successful in his profession wrote me an email telling me he has taken up photography as a hobby. He wrote,

Most around me feel it must be part of a mid-life crisis, dreaming to achieve what one did not in ones’ youth. However, my thrust is that splashing out a few thousand on a camera and lens is not the equivalent of getting Ferarri or Porche, and more creative.

The photographs posted here are some of the works I have kept. The colours are fading. I have mixed up the works of Ellen and mine. So, photo credits go to Ellen and Yan.




2 comment(s):

Adding life to years is the close equivalent of self-actualisation, particularly in latter years of life. Ideally, we have God's grace to age happily and meaningfully.

It is sad to look around us and find so many are not in that enviable situation - to be able and capable in their retirement years.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the sad realities of today's world, with people struggling to keep healthy, to make ends meet, to cope with endless chores of livelihood, etc. leave little room for any "luxury" in the twilight years, save for some nostalgic reminiscence and dreams which are free and easy.

By Blogger Joepsc, at 2:47 pm  

reminds me of:
What is this life IF, fool of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

WHo, Davy Crockett?

By Blogger desiderata, at 3:24 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home