Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Life in the Fast Lane

I boarded 7 am flight to Miri yesterday morning reaching Miri city at 8 am. I met 12 journalists, each 15 minutes. By 12:15 pm I was on the plane back to Sibu. I have to catch this flight so that I could still have a brief stop at Bintulu airport for another journalist.

Last night, little Chris had a bad nose bleeding. It was a bad one because the bleeding was profuse and lasted for quite a while. Quite a while means long enough to get mummy’s attention while she was working on the report after the day’s trip. Quite a while means long enough to turn Chris’ calm and cool to fear and tears.

In between tears and sobs, Chris said, “Mummy, I want to “burn”* my nose. I am scared one day when my nose bleed and you are not home. The nose bleed is like your work that never ends. It comes so fast and it is like you that run so fast.” (*Chris’ ENT doctor’s term in order to stop his bleeding)

I have to confess that I am addicted to speed. I have never thought that young Chris would think the pace of my life is a “frantic” one likened to his nose bleeding that comes fast. I have taken the pace of my life as nothing wrong and even biblical. Jeremiah admonishes us these words:

“If you have raced with men on foot, and they have wearied you, how will you compete with horses?”

Paul asks in the letter to the Corinthians:

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may attain it.

Paul also says,

“Let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.”

Even the Psalmist says,

“A strong man who runs the course with joy.”

What’s wrong? Deep down, I know these are just “comforts” that I use to tell myself that “it’s okay to be fast”.

William Wordsworth writes,

“The world is too much with us;
Late and soon, getting and spending,
We lay waste our powers.
Little we see in nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon…
We are out of tune,…”

Yes, I am out of tune, I guess. I am out of touch with nature. I am out of touch with myself. I am out of touch with my loved ones. I am even out of touch of this blog!

Today, another poet William Stafford gives me an understanding of time,

Time wants to show you a different country.
It is the one that your life conceals,
the one waiting outside when curtains are drawn,
the one Grandmother hinted at in her crochet design,
the one almost found over at the edge of the music, after the sermon.

It’s the way life is, and you have it, a few years given.
You get killed now and then,
Violated in various ways. (And sometimes it’s turn about)’
You get tired of that.
Long-suffering, you wait and pray,
and maybe good things come – may be
the hurt slackens and you hardly feel it anymore.
You have a breath without pain.
It is called happiness.

It’s a balance, the taking and passing along,
The composting of where you’ve been and how people
And weather treated you.
It’s a country where you already are,
bringing where you have been.
Time offers this gift in its millions of ways,
Turning the world, moving the air, calling,
Every morning, “Here, take it, it’s yours.”

Yes, take it, it's mine - the time. Time sitting by the river? As in the picture?



5 comment(s):

I must say i am not a fast lane person, but I admire those who are, especially mothers and career women combined!

By Blogger fishtail, at 12:57 pm  

like the poems and dat pic!
Can I have the Ori? Pic I mean so I can "copy" for my anthologee of mockups and mockeree!

Good, revealing rite-up ... slow down a bit so Desi can ketchup!:(

By Blogger desiderata, at 2:45 pm  

PS: A second peep and Nat Queen Cold's song came to mine:

Time and the river
Will bring my love to me
If I must I'll wait for ever
By the river that took her to the sea...

Remember that one, or you're TOO YOUNG to no!:)

By Blogger desiderata, at 5:44 pm  

Hi Yan, I wish CHris get well soon..

I heard from an old man who has enjoyed his life: "I work to live and I don't live to work"

That's all!

By Anonymous Yasser, at 5:15 am  

Hi Yan
Nice collection of poems.
And I also like the new layout and the pic!

By Blogger H J Angus, at 2:01 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home