Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Dimming of the Light

Don’t get caught by the cartoon. It has nothing to do with my posting today nor has it got anything to do with the title of the posting. It is just to tell you that I appreciate cartoons because they drive a point home in a very striking way. Now, this cartoon may not represent my point of view, but I appreciate the humour of it because it drives a point home. Perhaps, one of the points in this posting. Enjoy and be amused. I mean, the cartoon!

The lights of many eating places were dimmed last night. Lovers were enjoying dinner with dimmed light, or over candlelight. You know with the dimming of the light, we do not see clearly with physical eyes. I hope each and every lovers who had dined under dimmed light had a new understanding of their mates today. It is logical that when physical eyes are not functioning well, the eyes of the heart perform better!

My significant other suggested to dine out too. But, I have an appointment with God every Tuesday - leading a Bible Study Group. My members have not indicated that they are having candlelight dinner. The light was not dimmed during the study. As always, we all came with expectations. Yesterday, I went with a heavy heart, eyes blurred, ears unclear. The only thing I had was a teachable spirit.

Since the ear squat incident in the country, I have been associated with “ear”. First, it’s Chris’ ear infection. Then, it’s Rachel’s mild hearing loss. I have been seeing the one and only Ear, Nose and Throat doctor here for the past three months, spending hefty thousand ringgit for consultation and medication.

Yet, the matters have not come to a rest. Chris still complains of ear pain. He is still on allergy treatment. Rachel’s case is new and I have to wait for another two weeks for hearing test or audiogram.

Ear, ear, ear! It no doubt loaded my mind with many small voices, some from the shepherd, some from the wolf.

“He who has an ear, let him hear ….” As I led in the opening prayer last night, I heard many words bubbled from my months having an ear in them. Those words are –

Heart - Learn
Hear - Clear
Fear - Bear

I remember when I studied Chinese or English Literature during the secondary school days, the eyes and the ears are often used as metaphors for an inner comprehension of the mind.

We all know the physical functions of eyes and ears. They are designed to see and to hear. Sometimes when they malfunction we provide aids for them, as glasses for the eyes and hearing aids for the ears.

But the souls has organs of sight and of hearing as well. When we said “we have understood what have been said” or when we heeded an advice or we respond to a request, we are actually hearing and seeing with our mind and emotions, the soul.

I do not know how much you grasp what I am trying to say about hearing and seeing with our soul due to my limitation in expression. If you don’t get this, or you don’t know quite what it is, you may like to say, “It does not sound right to me,”

There are many things happening around us that we do not understand. Certain words are said with hidden meanings. We are involved in a situation that we do not understand.

That is when you hear but you do not hear.
You see when you do not see.

There are times when we gain flashes of insight and thus have a full understanding of a truth in relationship to other truths.

This is when the eyes and ears of your spirit are working.

There are three levels here –

Seeing (with their physical eyes) they do not see (with their mental eyes).
hearing (with their physical ears) they do nto hear (with their mental ears),
nor do they understand (it does not reach the level of the spirit where they grasp the full meaning of the truth in relationship to themselves and the world around them)

When the light dimmed, use the ears and eyes of the soul to understand. You do not have to fear or bear the burden - for the Lord bears it all!

Yes, I am leaving the “ear” problems to the Lord. That’s the new understanding I gained as the light dimmed last night.

8 comment(s):

WOW! I enjoy that, I mean the cartoon lah! What else?

Your cartoon and your words sure brighten my post-V-Day blues.

Just pulling your legs.

Dinner is cheaper tonight, go for it with the significant other.

pt

By Anonymous pt, at 3:33 pm  

Hi, Yan,

When people hear, but do not hear,
or see, but do not perceive, is because, according to Matthew:

"'For this people's heart has grown dull,
and their ears are heavy of hearing,
and their eyes they have closed...'" (Matthew 13:15a RSV)


and the reason being their free choice not to be healed of their spirit:

"'lest they should perceive with their eyes,
and hear with their ears,
and understand with their heart,
and turn for me to heal them.'" (Matthew 13:15b RSV)


In any case, you have been seeing, hearing, understanding and searching so faithfully - and that's really commendable.

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing,
but the glory of kings is to search it out." (Proverbs 25:2 RSV)

By Blogger Joepsc, at 7:37 pm  

So sorry to hear about Chris' ear infection and Rachel's mild hearing loss. Hope both get well soon.

By Blogger fishtail, at 11:32 pm  

Sorry to hear Chris is still having ear problems, and now Rachel as well. Hope they get sorted out soon.

By Blogger dobbs, at 10:42 am  

pt,

Thanks for enjoying the humour.

Nope, significant other on travelling the next day. Some other day.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 1:48 am  

joe,

Thanks for the encouragement.

It takes a friend to hear all the unsaid words.

Thanks for listening.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 1:49 am  

fishtail, dobbs,

Have done another hearing test for Rachel yesterday - and it shows that the hearing is back to normal.

Chris is continuing with the allergy treatment.

Thank God. Romancing with God is really good. He answers prayers.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 1:51 am  

Great to hear that Rachel's repeat test is normal. Praise God indeed! :)
I trust Chris will remain well with the allergy treatment.

By Blogger dobbs, at 12:28 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home