Yan's Corner - In Touch

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Will the circle be unbroken?

NST’s front page headline today “Will the circle be broken” confused me. I remember a hymn called “Will the Circle Be Unbroken”. The words are here –

Will the Circle Be Unbroken
Words: Ada R. Habershon
Music: Charles H. Gabriel



There are loved ones in the glory,
Whose dear forms you often miss;
When you close your earthly story,
Will you join them in their bliss?

Refrain

Will the circle be unbroken
By and by, by and by?
In a better home awaiting
In the sky, in the sky?

In the joyous days of childhood,
Oft they told of wondrous love,
Pointed to the dying Savior
Now they dwell with Him above.

Refrain

You remember songs of heaven
Which you sang with childish voice,
Do you love the hymns they taught you,
Or are songs of earth your choice?

Refrain

You can picture happy gatherings
Round the fireside long ago,
And you think of tearful partings,
When they left you here below:

Refrain

One by one their seats were emptied,
One by one they went away;
Here the circle has been broken—
Will it be complete one day?


It is not unusual during this time to get nostalgic over the continuity of many qualities and values we held during our childhood days with our loved ones across the generations. Most of all, the faith that we hold – we do not want to let the circle be broken!

Will the circle be unbroken
By and by, by and by?
In a better home awaitingIn the sky, in the sky?

Why would NST want the circle be broken?

While burried in my work, adjusting to the first day "Back to School" rush, I could not take that out of my mind. I logged on to NST on-line again, this time, I got it -

It’s the cycle of things in Malaysia. A cycle that goes like this -

A tragedy happens,
everyone clamours for tough action,
and the authorities promise
better enforcement
and stiffer punishment.

NST continues ..... Similar noises are being heard after Friday’s incident when a cement mould fell off a building in Sri Hartamas and crushed management consultant Liew Boon Horng. The Cabinet will discuss the case tomorrow. Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Fong Chan Onn said he wanted to put recalcitrant contractors out of business. City Hall Datuk Bandar Datuk Ruslin Hassan said his officials would step-up inspection of other high-rise building projects. BUT WILL ANYTHING CHANGE?

It’s the CYCLE OF THINGS! It's the cycle of things that NST is pressing for a break, not the circle! Not the circle of values, of tradition, of qualities, of faith to be broken? Is there a difference?

I hold on to my faith and never, never want the circle be broken -

Matthew 22:32 "I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."


3 comment(s):

yes, mGf thou art right.

i remember Agnes Chan's rndition best.

I don't know if Desi was her boy next door, but she was part of my youthfool circle:

Like thee, I won't want the circle to be broken either.

It's the Vicious Cycle NST refers to .. I hand it to the NST lately for asking all -- most -- of the right questions. Salute.

To Agnes too, wherever she is.

By Blogger desiderata, at 10:47 am  

Thanks, Desi, for your wisdom!

I also remember Agnes Chan's unbroken circle.

She was also part of my "teenage idol". The boy next door to me during those days did not play her songs, I remember.

Well, he had better taste - He did not remember to forget "his girl next day"!

I salute to NST, too, particularly the inspiring one, KMH and the "legacy" he left and to the new one, H?

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 12:03 am  

Oop, his girl next door lah ..

By Blogger Yan, at 12:04 am  

Post a comment

<< Home