Yan's Corner - In Touch

Friday, January 13, 2006

One Fine Day

Many years ago, probably before I was married, I heard of a story of a man who dropped his wife at the market and came back to fetch her. He heard the door shut. He drove home. On reaching home, he stepped out of his car, went straight into the house. Telephone rang. (No handphone then) He picked up. At the other end was his wife. His wife was still at the market. She had merely dropped her groceries at the back seat and closed the door. The husband drove off without her!

I thought that was unthinkable. But the friend who told me that story said it was a true story of her friend.

I have not a doubt about it now.

School re-opens. I also start my other job – that of a full-time driver of my two children. It’s actually between home, work, appointments with clients and driver’s job. I dropped Rach and Chris off at 2 pm – Rach for her BM, Chris for his Chinese. At 4 pm, I went to pick Chris first. It was 4:10 pm when I arrived. He opened the back seat door behind the driver’s seat. When I heard the car’s door shut, I drove off.

Yes, I drove off without Chris. Chris has just “upgraded” himself to the seat beside the driver this year. He meant to put his bag at the back seat and took the front seat!

It was by instinct I took a glance at the side mirror and saw Chris running after my car still laughing away!

It was a hilarious moment for him when he finally sat in the car!

When we arrived at Rach’s place it was 4:20 pm. Just at that point, Rach called on my handphone.

How could Chris, the great story teller not telling the story to his “Jie-Jie”? But, he is creative –

“Jie-jie, do you get frustrated when mummy is late to fetch you?”

“No, not really,” Rach is more “diplomatic”.

“No, then, why do you have to phone mummy just now?” Chris needed a “yes” to tell his cause.

“Oh, it’s my policy to call after 20 minutes just to make sure mummy is on the way, or there is other arrangement.” Rach was trying to state her case.

“Late by 20 minutes you also have to call, do you know that I have to run after mummy’s car?” Chirs started his story ….

It is a happy ending.

But, it leaves me with many thoughts –

Why are we always in a hurry? Jesus never runs around. He never seems hassled or harried. Jesus never tells others to hurry. If there is, he only said to Judas “What you are about to do, do quickly” (jn 13:27)

One fine day -

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to meditate in His temple. – Psalm 27:4

When?

2 comment(s):

"It was by instinct I took a glance at the side mirror and saw Chris running after my car still laughing away!" Oh dear, this is so hilarious (at Chris' expense)! He has upgraded himself to the front seat, and you have upgraded yourself to an Absent Minded Professor! Perhaps I shall continue to remind the taxi driver that my luggage is in his booth, so that he won't drive off when I get out of his vehicle and close the car door!

By Blogger fishtail, at 10:38 pm  

Blush, blush ...

Great minds think alike! Chris reminded me that his bag was still at the back seat when he got out of my car so that I won't drive off! That I won't because I still feel very warm and nice when he waves goodbye to me.

By Blogger Yan, at 10:50 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home