Yan's Corner - In Touch

Sunday, January 29, 2006

New Year Day with Morrie

My late mother spent the most number of years with my second brother in Sibu. So, it is natural that brothers and sisters visited my second brother’s home most often. In recent years, my younger sister, my second sister and me (all the siblings who are in Sibu. Remember? My mother raise up nine children.) make it a point that we shall meet in second brother’s home during Chinese New Year.

This afternoon, the four families met and had a great time. My second brother has four children, aged between 27-17. My second elder sister has three daughters, aged between 22-16. My youngest sister has four children, aged between 13-6. Together with Rachel and Chris and our significant other, it’s quite a huge crowd. The children below 13 and below all crowded in the “IT” room either with internet or PS2.

It was a great time. We talked about our late mother, of how good she was as a mother, mother-in-law and grandmother. It made me wonder tonight whether we ever said all the good about her while she was alive.

I “re-visited” Tuesdays with Morrie this evening and learnt something new. Or rather this part of the book (below) caught me and gave me some new insights. You may not like it because it’s new year, and nobody talks of  “funeral” on New Year. If you do not wish to be affected by what follows, stop here please –

Lifted from the book, “Tuesdays with Morrie” –

The New Year came and went. Although he never said it to anyone. Morrie knew this would be the last year of his life. He was using a wheelchair now, and he was fighting time to say all the things he wanted to say to all the people he loved. When a colleague at Brandeis died suddently of a heart attack, Morrie went to his funeral. He came home depressed.

“What a waste,” he said. “All those people saying all those wonderful things, and Irv never got to hear any of it.”

Morrie had a better idea. He made some calls. He chose a date. And on a cold Sunday afternoon, he was joined in his home by a small group of friends and family for a “living funeral.” Each of them spoke and paid tribute to my old professor. Some cried. Some laughed. One woman read a poem:

:My dear and loving cousin …
Your ageless heart
As you move through time, layer on layer,
Tender sequoia….”

Morrie cried and laughed with them. And all the heartfelt things we never get to say to those we love, Morrie said that day. His “living funeral” was a rousing success.

Only Morrie wasn’t dead yet.

We still have three more days of visiting, perhaps say some heartfelt things to friends?

1 comment(s):

Hi, Yan,

Have a nice holiday too, and happy visiting.

Joe

By Blogger Joepsc, at 11:12 am  

Post a comment

<< Home