Yan's Corner - In Touch

Monday, January 02, 2006

The Best Is Yet To Be!

All set for “Back-to-School”!

Few nights ago, I was wrapping up the books for Chris. I am a nagging mother who never wants to miss an opportunity to tell my children the childhood days.

“During my time, we used the past year calendar to wrap our books.” I said.

“Oh? That must be beautiful. Your idols’ pictures?” Chris asked.

“No, we turned it inside out. You know, we did it all by ourselves. My mother never did that for us. My mother had nine children, if each one had 10 books, it would mean she had to wrap 90 books.” I said.

“You teach me, I can do it myself next year.” Chris said, clearly offended.

“By the way, how long have you been wrapping text books?” Chris asked.

“For as long as Jie-Jie started schooling.” I answered.

“Plus your own years, it would be about 20 years. I think it’s still not up to perfection yet.” Chris said.

Yeah, still learning. God is still working on me! The best is yet to come!

Rachel would go to morning session. Since her secondary days, she had been taking the 15-minutes walk back to home after school in the evening. I have been getting remarks from friends that I am a very “cruel and mean mother” by letting her walk home. I remained unmoved by all remarks. This time, I had been struggling whether to pick her up at 12:40 pm after her class, or still let her walk home. It would be extremely hot under the sun at that hour.

Rachel decides that she would still take a walk home. She has always been that considerate darling knowing that if I pick her up at 12:40 pm, it means rushing her home and making another trip to Chris’ school that ends at 1:00 pm.

By letting the precious princess to walk under the hot sun, I know, starting tomorrow, I would be facing the music of mean-to-good friends.

Yes, preparing the children to be independent from us is one of the important task of parents. Parents are to trust them, equip them to move out, and send them forth -- not just at the time they are teenagers ready to break away, but the process should be going on all along, so that they will learn more and more how to become stable and dependent upon God and not on their parents.

Many lessons to learn ….

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made.
- Robert Browning

4 comment(s):

Hi, Yan,

I like that - Grow old with me, the best is yet to be!

Your darling daughter should be ok. I have seen her walking back from school last year, happily!

That's the beauty of living in a closely-knitted community(?) when everybody know everybody. I remember at one time when I took a walk to office, my auntie thought I had a quarrel with my significant half!

Keep writing.

By Anonymous pt, at 6:29 pm  

Young Chris's philosophy must be: "Give me a wrapped book and I have a wrapped book for a year. Teach me to wrap books, and I can have wrapped books for 10 years!"

By Blogger fishtail, at 11:30 pm  

pt,

Thanks for the good words.

That's interesting. I think I would give it a try also!

By Blogger Yan, at 6:21 am  

fishtail,

Well said.

We can never live long enough to learn all the things we need to learn in life, even in parenting alone, it's a long journey.

The consolation is, we are never alone.

By Blogger Yan, at 6:23 am  

Post a comment

<< Home