Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Words of Love I'll Remember

I often get a little sentimental at the close of the year. It seems like so many things need to be done, yet left undone. It seems like I have wasted much of the time. It seems like racing against time before the sun sets…

This year is a lot better, seemingly. Because I do not seem to worry about things undone, I do not seem to rushing for many last minutes’ things…

I have time to even remember some of the beautiful words I have read or heard this year. Thanks to this blog, thanks to Rachel, thanks to Christopher, thanks to the significant half, thanks to friends, far and near, old friends, new friends, friends whom I have never met …

A young woman who misses her father writes,

Dad has been widowed 20 months now. And each day I see him getting smaller…. He misses my mum very much and he’s holding on to their memories together…

Dad is such a wonderful man. He gives and he gives and he gives; of himself, his time and his love … Thinking how little time is left for me to look after him…

Imissed my mum so much after she died. I am so afraid that Dad would go too someday. I know tht is inevitable for isn’t that the cycle of life? But I don’t want him to go without God – he has shot down every mention of Him as long as I can remember. And I pray desperately that when he eventually walk through the door to eternity, God will be waiting at the other side…

Dad, how can I make things better for you??

I remember how the daughter’s cries touched my heart. Who could write words better than a daughter’s love for her father? Thanks, DBW. My heart goes to you, my prayers for you and your father.

A young girl who lost her father in an accident two years ago, writes this in May on the first anniversary of his passing on,

My dearest Papa,
I know that you’re enjoying more than golf in Heaven.. so why does my heart still bleed?
I know that the good memories will suffice.. so why do I selfishly long for more?
I know that your 52 years were years well-spent.. but whywouldn’t I give for a 53rd?
I know that you love me … could you tell me again, in some way?
You’ll always be the man of my life

How much love, how much longings are expressed in those words? We know how difficult it has been. Thanks, Jem, though I only know you through the blog you kept until May this year when you said you would “vanish into the real world”.

A young boy waited for his grandfather to return home from hospital, but his grandfather went to stay in Jesus' home. After a year on “Grandparents’ Day” this year he writes,

My mooooooost loving grandpa went to stay in Jesus’ home last year in October. I miss him very much. I miss the time watching TV with him. I miss the dinner time with him when he would always joke with me. I miss the time when he and the driver fetched me from tuition lessons and music lessons. I just miss calling him “Gong Gong”. I even miss him calling me from downstairs – Liang Liang.

Mummy said “Gong Gong” is now living in Jesus’ home. It is a beautiful home with many rooms. One day, we all shall meet in heaven. But, why doesn’t Jesus let him stay here in our home for a longer time? There is a big room for him and grandma.

Gong-gong, I know it is more than a house in heaven, it is home of Jesus.

I know you are singing happily there with a better karoke-system than the one at home. But, why do I still want you here?

I "battled" with Liang Liang for almost a year to overcome the "loss". I thought it's over. But, it seems there's some more battles ahead when he called late night crying bitterly. Dear Liang Liang, hold on that strong faith that you shall meet your loving “gong-gong” one day in heaven.

I also remember this beautiful poem by Christina Rosetti called “Remember”. The poem was read by Condoleezza Rice during the 911 anniversary this year,

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.

Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann’d;
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray

Yes, if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve;
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Words, words, it's only words that I can take your heart away?

Remember is a look-back. It’s the season of the year to do so. But looking back does not always need to be sad. It could be thankfulness for those beautiful people, beautiful things in your life. If it is of something to regret, remember, realize, return and repent.

4 comment(s):

Remember, Realize, Return, Repent... These words steal my heart. If I may add,

Renewed
Refreshed
Recharged
Reminded

WORDS, WORDS, WORDS...

Thank you, friend for the inspiration.

pt

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 am  

Hi Yan,

Those letters are so beautiful to read over and over again. With simple everyday words, these young writers could touch deep into our hearts and bring forth tears in our eyes - of grief, of sadness and of consolatory joy. True, I'm choking with tears right now !

Perhaps, it is our penchant for nostalgia and our ability to relate to the pains of others around us, that we love to be touched by such powerful words. This also helps bring us down to earth when our ego gets too carried away and we are blinded by the enticing bright lights of a superfluous life-style.

Peace out - before my superfluous words become vexing.

Regards

By Anonymous jpsc, at 7:10 pm  

yan:

I'll always remember
the words you said, even unsaid.
hope you'll also remember
some desi's words
even unsaid,
among them
m'f.

By Blogger desiderata, at 11:29 am  

Hi, Desi,

Heard - loud and clear, even the "sound of silence"!

Have a blessed new year.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 8:41 am  

Post a comment

<< Home