Yan's Corner - In Touch

Friday, December 23, 2005

Who is Jesus?

You are a creative director. How would you bring the message of Christmas to the world? You are a corporate writer. How would you write a press release to introduce your boss, Jesus Christ?

Little Chris said he could use this picture for a “coda” advertisement. What is “coda”? I remember writing about “coda” sometime back. To refresh your memory, for the benefit of new friends here, “coda” is a type of toothpaste that Chris “invented”. “CO” as in Colgate (you know!) and “DA” as in “Darlie” (at one time, it’s called “Darkie”). When the two combined, it’s called “Coda” – Chris’ tooth paste.



He created this picture. He says,

“Colgate makes your teeth strong. Darlie makes your teeth white. And you smile. So, here it’s – whiter, stronger, happier!”

Chris is the creative director. Chris is the copy writer.

I have another friend called Yasser. Yasser is a Muslim. I could not remember how he came to my blog sometime ago. But, I remember that he would never miss an opportunity to tell me about Islam. He knows I am a Christian. He has even created a site about Islam and invited me to have a better understand about Islam. I received an email from him last night. It reads,

Hi, Yan

Merry Christmas.

I have read your last post about new year calendar. It really reminds me to set my targets for the new year. Thanks a lot.

It is Christmas! I think it is nice to give you a brief description about Jesus in Islam.

Yasser

(the mail follows with description about Jesus in Islam)


Here is someone who would never miss an opportunity to tell me about Islam.

How about us?

I may not be as “creative” as Chris to create a picture. I may not be as “innovative” as a child to combine two brands of tooth paste for fantastic result. But, I can share with you someone’s else description of Jesus today!

More than two thousand years ago there was a Man born contrary to the laws of life. This Man lived in poverty and was reared in obscurity. He did not travel extensively. Only once did He cross the boundary of the country in which He lived; that was during His exile in childhood.

He possessed neither wealth nor influence. His relatives was inconspicuous, and had neither training nor formal education.

In infancy He startled a king. In childhood, He puzzled doctors. In manhood, He ruled the course of nature, walked upon the billows as if pavements, and hushed the sea to sleep.

He healed the multitudes without medicine and made no charge for His service.

He never wrote a book, and yet all the libraries of the country could not hold the books that have been written about Him.

He never wrote a song, and yet He has finished the theme for more songs than all the songwriters combined.

He never found a college, but all the schools put together cannot boast of having so many students.

He never marshaled an army, nor drafted a soldier, nor fired a gun; and yet no leader ever had more volunteers who have, under His orders, made more rebels stack arms and surrender without a shot fired.

He never practiced psychiatry, and yet He has healed more broken hearts than all the doctors far and near.

Once each week the wheels of commerce cease their turning and multitudes wend their way to worshipping assemblies to pay homage and respect to Him.

The names of the past proud statesmen of Greece and Rome have come and gone. The names of the past scientists, philosophers, and theologians have come and gone; but the name of this Man abounds more and more. Though time has spread two thousand years between the people of this generation and the scene of His crucifixion, yet He still lives! Herod could not destroy Him, and grave could not hold Him.

He stands forth upon the highest pinnacle of heavenly glory, proclaimed of God, acknowledged by angels, adored by saints, and feared by devils, as the living, personal Christ, our Lord and Saviour!

Christmas is associated with warmth, love, joy, forgiveness, healing, beauty, light and glory. Unless you have CHRIST in YOU, you will never know the meaning of Christmas. Just like you have to have “Colgate” and “Darlie” in “Coda”, I hope the gratitude of our hearts will express in our own way to God what it means to us to have had “the Son of God” born in “our hearts” as He was born in the stable in Bathlehem.

I am repeating this -

Though Christ a thousand times in Bethlehem be born,
Until he is born within your heart
Your life is still forlorn.

3 comment(s):

Indeed, white and strong, Chris, ask your mummy to get Colgate and Darlie to pay your creative director and copy writer's fees!

Hi, Yan, if I may add -

There is nothing like the family get-together at Christmas. There is no loneliness like being alone at Christmas, away from family and friends. Is there someone around whom we can invite to share the get-together?

Look around. I know you brought someone to Church last Christmas eve, and I have seen the whole family coming to Church Sundays after Sundays for the past one year...

You are a better creative director, you are a better corporate writer - action speaks louder than words..

My dear friend, God Bless you and yours.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 am  

Thanks, my dear friend. Sorry, if you would not "reveal" your identity, I can only call you "my dear friend" too.

But, I would love to call you by name. Just like I know Jesus calls me by name, whether Yan or Phyllis!

Have a blessed Christmas. See "you" at tomorrow night's church service and Christmas Day Service?

That reminds me of those younger days when classmates met their penpal, they would carry a book, or pin a rose. Tomorrow, I will wear a smile. You?

It's Christmas, be joyful.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 11:19 am  

Jesus in Islam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 am  

Post a comment

<< Home