Yan's Corner - In Touch

Thursday, December 22, 2005

My Calendar, God's Calendar

For the past week in Sing-Land, I have been working on my calendar. A calendar that covers a year in advance.

First, I worked on my Girls’ Brigade Calendar, a talk this week for the girls, compulsory services at charitable organizations for the girls, EXCO meetings, Officers’ Meeting, Camping, Officers’ Retreat …. I am happy with it.

Next, the Church’s calendar. I am happy with it.

Next, the business trips, monthly visits to offices … I am happy with it too.

I plan, I program, I try to fit in the calendar my desire and my interest. Done with it. I may not be able to fulfill all the plans. But, at least, it gives me an outline on what I intend to do in 2006.

Why do I do that? Or do you also do that? There are limits of life. We know the limitations. So, we tell ourselves, “Let’s make the year counts. Let’s use time to the full.”

I have my calendar, beautifully planned. What’s my position in God’s calendar?

This pressing question keeps bothering me. Does God also keeps a calendar that includes me?

Today, I studied the book of Leviticus and was amazed by God’s calendar of feasts for Israel. There were seven of them, plus the weekly Sabbath. The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘The feasts of the Lord, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, are My feasts.”

From the feasts of The Passover to the Feast of Firstfruits, The feast of weeks, the feast of trumpets, the day of atonement and finally to the feast of tabernacles, these are God at work in our life or in our Calendar. It ultimately comes at the place of joy.

C.S. Lewis says, “The ultimate purpose of God in all his work is to add joy.”

The last feast, the Feast of Tabernacles is a beautiful picture of the joy in God’s Calendar. It is written,

...when you have gathered in the fruit of the land, you shall keep the feat of the Lord for seven days, ..... you shall take for yourselves on the first day the fruit of beautiful trees, branches of palm trees, the boughs of leafy trees, and willows of the brook; and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days....

Then, in God’s calendar, there are Sabbath Year and Year of Jubilee. Sabbath Year occurred every seven years, while the Year of Jubilee was to be celebrated every fifty years.

Aren't these delightful topics? The feasts and the Jubilee!

At this Christmas, I have a new understanding of My Calendar, God’s Calendar. I would have included in my calendar a time of rest, an opportunity for redemption, a time for reflection, a time for reward and repair, a time for relationships, a time to refocus!

Where are you in God’s Calendar?

2 comment(s):

Every morning I wake up and on my way to office, I always ask myself what's the menu today from Yan's corner for my intellectual and spiritual uplifting and enlightenment.

This morning's subject from Yan's Corner, my Calendar, God's Calendar, provides me another highly rewarding 10-minute or so of very stimulating self reflection that prepares and shapes me for another day of earthly living.

That daily dose has become more important than my morning cup of tea.

Thank Yan!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 am  

Hi, I would like to join you over a cuppa coffee! I drink coffee. But, they say it doesn't matter, the air hostess always asks, coffee or tea? So, we can have our choice.

Thank you that my humble words can be an inspiration to someone.

Thank you for all the kind words. Though not so deserving to receive all, I humbly accept all.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 11:24 am  

Post a comment

<< Home