Yan's Corner - In Touch

Monday, December 19, 2005

Mirror Mind

Who is smart?

By Christopher Lau

My mummy, my Jie-Jie and me were in the Night Safari, Singapore last night. A little girl sitting a row in front of us dropped her water bottle while the tram was moving. The father said, “Shit”. The little girl followed, “Shack”. She did not get it right.

I whispered to my mummy, “That father is teaching his daughter bad word.”

The tram moved on. The little girl said, “Daddy, I want water.” The father answered, “You dropped it just now.” The little girl said, “Shit”.

She got it right this time.

Who is smart?

Mirror Mind

By Yan

I always like to use this comment when I am inspired by children – “Children are a wellspring of inspirations.”

Over the years, I have learnt much from my own two children. I must say nobody has helped me to understand life and to understand the scriptures more than they have.

When Rachel was 4 or 5, one day, my favourite’s leather shoes were torn by the dog. Naturally, I was very upset and murmured to myself that the maid should have put the shoes on the shoes rack the previous night. Rachel was quick to remark, “Mummy, kakak did not bite your shoes. It was the dog.”

There is a Chinese proverb that says like this, “One generation plants the trees, and another gets the shade.”

You and I are living in the shade of some trees that were planted by our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. We are shaded by their moral standards, their value system, their commitment to duty. We are shaded by what they have planted, isn’t it not?

Now, what are we planting for our children? What kind of moral values, what kind of value system are adopting to shade our next generation. Or, are we planting anything?

Here is a quotation from a woman named Lenora Weber, who wrote an article entitled what parents owe their children,

Parents owe it to the children they bring into the world to put the tools of living in their hands – hands which we have made as strong and capable as we can. But, having given them the hands and the tools, we also owe it to them not to do their digging for them.

I do not want to scare you during this Christmas time. But this report by the Minnesota Crime Commission must be noted –

Every baby starts life as a little savage. He is completely selfish and self-centred. He wants what he wants when he wants it – his bottle, his mother’s attention, his playmate’s toy, his uncle’s watch. Deny him these once, and he seethes with rate and aggressiveness which would be murderous were he not so helpless. He is dirty, he has no morals, no knowledge, no skills. This means that all children – not just certain children, all children – are born delinquent. If permitted actions to satisfy his wants, every child would grow up a criminal – a thief, a killer or a rapist.

It’s never easy. But the wisdom of this proverb assures us, both parents and children –

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not to your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge him
And he shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment(s):

hi chris:

thanks for taking me from kindie to sundae school ...maketh uncle desi younger&younger agin.
A-gin is to say tis alright for oldies like desi and thy MumDearest
to down a tonic&gin once a while
we'll always have some "sin" around...okay, add the Ging!
Thanks Y&A, don't 4get/give the BookeR!:)

By Blogger desiderata, at 11:12 am  

Post a comment

<< Home