Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Life Lessons in Court

Yesterday, one of my stories was about the "doctors (note the plural) in court". Today, it's more delightful with Chief Judge to teach you some life lessons.

The legal practitioners in Sarawak were given some pointers on court etiquette by Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Tan Sri Datuk Amar Steve Shim Lip Kiong. 14 advocates were admitted to Sarawak Bar yesterday, The Borneo Post reported.

Pick up some pointers here for your everyday use, too. I am sure some are applicable.

When you need to refer to your opponent in court call him “my learned friend”. Likewise to the judge, “My learned judge” or “My learned Chief Judge”. The use of word “learned” is part of the courteous language of the court, which simply means “qualified as lawyer.”

Don’t ask a direct question to the judge. If you want a break for lunch, say this, “My Lord, I wonder whether this is a convenient moment for a lunch break”.

If you want the Judge to refer to document, say this, “I wonder if your Lordship can refer to page 123 of the bundle.”

Always ask the judge for permission this way, “May it please you, your Honour/My Lord/My Lady”.

Make a point to thank the judge whenever possible and also to use words like “Much obliged, My Lord” in most situations.

The Chief Judge said a magistrate or judge who sits in court is entitle to demand respect from those who appear before him.

Well, my learned readers, my learned friends, I wonder whether this is a convenient moment for a lunch break!

Oop… that indirect question does not deserve that exclamation mark.

Much obliged, my learned Chief Judge, for that life lessons!

For all the pointers, this exclamation mark justifies.

1 comment(s):

Using it in the court is not enough. The Chief Judge should ask them to extend these courtesies beyond the court.

I have seen polite and courteous lawyers and doctors. Likewise, I have also experienced arrogant lawyers, and surprisingly, these experiences are more frequent! Equally surprising is, I have yet to experience a rude doctor with rude "bed-side" manner!

Hi, Yan, thank you for making ordinary things Ex-tra-special, as always.

AG (not attorney-general, you know)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 am  

Post a comment

<< Home