Yan's Corner - In Touch

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Are you afraid?

Are you frightened by current events?

This is the first sentence of the article by Johann Christoph Arnold that was dropped into my mail box just now.

The author listed some tragedies that have occurred over the past year –

The tsunami in Southeast Asia
Mudslides in Central America
Droughts and
floods in Europe
Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico
Earthquake in
Pakistan
Hurricane Katrina
War in Iraq with no end in sight
Avian flu
Fear of terrorism
Bombings of three hotels in Amman,
Jordan
Mounting anger of the young ones


The author “believes that God doesn’t want to frighten us, but has something wonderful and great in mind for humanity.” He continues,

When things look dark and hopeless, this is the time to find out who your friends and neighbours really are. Or do you think you are the only one who is afraid?

Looking with new eyes at the people you meet daily, you will quickly realize that everyone is frightened, at least at some level. I myself am anxious when I think of the future - if not for myself, then for my children and grandchildren. But that is why I wrote this article: in the hope that it might encourage even one person. Everyone I know needs courage and hope. Everyone needs love and recognition as an unique and special being.

Every time we share a burden like fear with another person, that burden is cut in half, and is replaced by love. And once the spark of love ignited in us, we can fan it into flame, and help it spread to others. Suddenly we will realize that we are not as alone as we thought we were and we will get a glimpse of community - what real life is all about.

Read the whole article here

Yes, we are never alone. Family members are always there to share our burden, our fears, our sorrows and even our joys. Then, we have friends. Friends we meet every day. Friends who drop by to say “hello” occasionally. Friends who are just an email away. Even friends in blogging community whom we have never met before.

Few days ago, I was in a “deep, deep valley” and thought how could I ever got out of that. A friend who has taken a deeper look of life sent me a few pictures of the swallows. Staring at the screen, feeling the peace and calm of the birds, I thought I heard a still small voice said to me, “Look at the swallows, they do not have to worry because God looks after them. Surely you are more worthy than the swallows.” I walked out of the deep valley of my emotions even without realizing it.



(Pictures courtesy of my friend, lky)

There have been times also the words from my frequently visited blogs, Desi, Fishtail, Dobbs, De-book worm, YvonneFoong and many others bring me some new understanding of my fears, my burden, my sorrows and even my joy.

Few days ago, my 10-year-old son shared the story of “Frog” in this blog. I have another story of frog that I lifted somewhere a long, long time ago. Here it goes -

You ever feel like a frog? Frogs feel slow, low, ugly, puffy, drooped, pooped. I know -- one told me. The frog feeling comes when you want to be bright but feel dumb, when you want to share but are selfish, when you want to be thankful but feel resentment, when you want to be great but are small, when you want to care but are indifferent. Yes, at one time or another each of us has found himself on a lily pad, floating down the great river of life. Frightened and disgusted, we're too froggish to budge.

Once upon a time there was a frog, only he really wasn't a frog -- he was a prince who looked and felt like a frog. A wicked witch had cast a spell on him. Only the kiss of a beautiful maiden could save him. But since when do cute chicks kiss frogs? So there he sat, unkissed prince in frog form. But miracles happen. One day a beautiful maiden gathered him up and gave him a great big smack. Crash! Boom! Zap! There he was, a handsome prince. And you know the rest -- they lived happily ever after.

So what is your task? Kissing frogs. You could do wonders to frightened frogs!

As young Christopher closed his story – the next time you see you frog, don’t panic, it is FROG, Mother adds – if you see a frightened frog, give him a great big hug or kiss or a warm hand-shake. And lo! There he/she is, a happy prince or princess.

1 comment(s):

That's why we must always count our blessings. To remind ourselves of the things we have, which is comforting against odds.

By Anonymous Yvonne Foong, at 12:39 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home