Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, October 15, 2005

On Being Wrongfully Accused

I was in Psalm 109 yesterday. The Psalmist describes the reactions of a man who has been unjustly accused and wrongly treated. We have all experienced being wrongly accused, whether the matter is big or small.

I was linked by Desi to read the account of a young man (young because I read that he is still single and I assume he is young) being wrongly treated early yesterday morning right after I have my daily reading of the bible.

The Lord always speaks to us through person or circumstances. I attempted to read Psalm 109 the second time. It is a psalm of someone who is deeply disturbed by unjust accusations against him.

Be not silent, O God of my praise!
For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me
Speaking against me with lying tongues
They beset me with words of hate,
And attack me without cause
Even as I make prayer for them
So they reward me evil for good
And hatred for my love (Psalm 109:1-3 RSV)


The first part of the three verses tells of the man being wrongfully accused without any reason. The second part relates of the man making an effort to rectify the situation by praying for them. However, this is what he gets in return of his conscious effort, he says,

In return for my love they accuse me
Even as I make prayer for them.
So they reward me evil for my good
And hatred for my love (Psalm 109:4-5)


He describes the kind of treatment he gets for no wrong on his part -

Appoint a wicked man against him;
let an accuser bring him to trial.
When he is tried, let him come forth guilty;
let his prayer be counted as sin!
May his days be few; may another seize his goods!
May his children be fatherless,
and his wife a widow!
May his children wander about and beg;
may they be driven out of the ruins they inhabit!
May the creditor seize all that he has;
may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil!
let there be none to extend kindness to him,
nor any to pity his fatherless children!
May his posterity be cut off;
may his name be blotted out in the second generation!
May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord,

and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out!
Let them be before the lord continually;
and may his memory be cut off from the earth! (Psalms 109:6-15 RSV)

How strong is the language! His enemies even would not spare his parents, wife and children -
What are the reasons for such strong curses even to his generation?

For he did not remember to show kindness,
but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted to their death.
He loved to curse; let curses come on him!

He did not like blessing; may it be far from him!
He clothed himself with cursing as his coat, (Psalms 109 16-18a RSV)

How aptly it describes of our human nature. His enemies curse him and yet return to say that he curses them.

I am amazed by how the psalmist deals with such strong curses and accusations by his enemies. He puts his case in front of God. He admits to God that he is weak and ask God to make his strong.

This is the reward which my accusers seek from the Lord,
those who speak evil against my life!
But thou, O God my Lord,

deal on my behalf for thy name's sake;
because thy steadfast love is good,
deliver me!
For I am poor and needy,
and my heart is stricken within me.
I am gone, like a shadow at evening;
I am shaken off like a locust.
My knees are weak through fasting;
my body has become gaunt.
I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
when they see me, they wag their heads.
Help me. O Lord my God!

Save me according to thy steadfast love!
Let them know that this is thy hand; thou,
O lord, hast done it! let them curse,
but do thou bless!
My assailants shall be put to shame,

and thy servant shall be glad!
My accusers shall be clothed with dishonor;
they shall be wrapped in their own shame as in a mantle! (Psalms 109:20-29 RSV)

He ends with thanksgiving and praises -

With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord;
I will praise him in the midst of the throng.
For he stands at the right hand of the needy,
to save him from those who condemn him to death. (Psalms 109:30-31 RSV)

Thoughts from this Psalm -

When we are wrongly accused and insulted, thank God for the experience, accept it as the wrongful accusations are allowed by Him for our spiritual growth. Put the case before the Lord, He will make everything good.

2 comment(s):

Yan: THanks for the shAring!

I've shored it for more readings -- reflection, and then figure out the LESSONS in it for me on this short journey called Life.
I can make use of some of the pointers there as my compass -- can sometimes even get lost in FuRong Maze! Try it sumtimes. FuRong done (as in EGG!) -- figuere this one out! TOO MUCH can be Bad for heAlth tho.

Cheers
YL (desi)

By Blogger desiderata, at 12:33 pm  

Hi, Desi,

There is indeed so much to learn from the Psalmist. When I first read this Psalm, after Verse 5, there is a sudden change to strong words. I thought the Psalmist was curing the person who wrongly accused him. (note the strong words).

Then I remember my "English guru", in verse 4, the Psalmist used "they", but from verse 6 on, it is "him". It should have been in inverted comas. So, it was actually the cursings he received from his enemies (they).

Continue to dwell in His Words, you will find that it applies in every day's life.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 5:10 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home