Yan's Corner - In Touch

Monday, October 03, 2005

Constantly in trouble

I like this description of a Christian by someone –

A Christian is one who is:
Completely fearless,
Constantly cheerful, and
Constantly in trouble.

Do I meet that description?

I have been in trouble recently. The trouble comes when I stand by my principle and would not compromise to protect my own interest. In a gathering, Pslam 1 was read. This Psalm describes the wicked and the righteous. The person who arranged that to be read was clearly hinting to me that I am under the influence of the wicked. Soon after the Psalm was read, the person followed with a two-page text of “prayer” with allegations. I could have walked away. But, I did not. I remember, a Christian is one who is “constantly in trouble”.

That gives me a chance to meditate Psalm 1 early this morning.

The Lord brings me to a new understanding of this Psalm. The Psalm talks about the wicked. When the word wicked comes to us, we often visualize somebody who is evil, murderers, rapists and gangsters.

But the Lord tells me otherwise. The wicked is referring to self-centred person, the righteous is referring to those whose life that is God-centred.

The wicked really means the ungodly, the man who has no time for God in his life.

Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day end night. (Psalms 1:1-2 RSV)

The first verse of the Psalm is negative, NOT doing certain things. Here, I picked up three words that described the life of a man –

Walks. Stands. Sits.

Walking is taking steps. Are we not taking steps every day? The decisions big and small are the little steps we make everyday.

Standing means the commitment we make, taking our stand on matters, big and small.

Sitting shows a picture of a person while at rest. Here, we see the stage of the person’s heart while at rest. Is it at peace? Or is in turmoil?

The positive actions are found in the second part. Here I pick up two action words –

Delight
Meditate

He delights in the law of the Lord and meditate on it day and night. And when delights in the law and meditate on the words of God day and night -

His is like a tree planted by streams of water,
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers (Psalm 1:3 RSV)

What joy!

What timely reminder that I have been lazy with my daily readings of His Words!

The Lord always speaks through circumstances, and through people.

1 comment(s):

Yan:

Thanks for the reMINDer; we constantky need it!:) primeday TODAY! I'll try not to have MondayBlues! Keep reMINDing myself.

By Blogger desiderata, at 10:05 am  

Post a comment

<< Home