Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Knee and the Brain

“If you are with the government, all the mental faculty is in your brains, your heart and your hands. No matter how clever you are, if your brain power does not rise above your knees, you are only kicking.”

This is the remark made by deputy chief minister of Sarawak in lashing out at certain intellectuals who, he said, had used their “knees instead of their brains” to stir up negative politics.

He described these group of people of “nuisance value”.

Recently, I read a text of a sermon delivered by a preacher. He related this story when he preached on how our body works. He said, -

I was preaching in a certain place in the East once and a doctor came up to
me afterwards, and said, "You may be interested to know that there is a certain
part of your body that is absolutely essential to you as a preacher. You
probably do not even think about it when you are preaching, and yet without it
you could not do the work you are doing. Do you know what it is?" I said, "No.
Is it my tongue, or my brain?"

"No," he said, "those are obvious. It's your big toe. Did you know that if
you didn't have a great toe on each foot you could not even stand up to preach?
It is the toe that has the ability to sense when your body begins to lean, or
shift, or get out of balance, or fall, and it immediately strengthens you so
that you can stand up and speak."

I have been guarding it very carefully ever since, because I need that big
toe! It is an essential part of my ministry.

I have not been able to comprehend how without a big toe you won’t be able to stand up. But, I know the importance of knee! Two years ago, I broke my knee. I had an operation to get it fixed. Sounds easy, just fixed it, isn’t it? But, it was not that easy. It was just the knee that hurt, isn’t it? No, the rest of my body was also concerned. My body did not just say, “Oh, go the sleep! Go off and hurt over in the corner and let me go to sleep.” The whole body suffered for days and nights. For weeks, I was not able to lift up my legs. I was on clutches for a while. Without my knee, I just could not walk!

It was then what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12:14-16 gave me new meaning –

For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say,
"Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it
any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an
eye, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the
body. If the whole body were any eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole
body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? (1 Corinthians
12:14-17 RSV)

There are people who think that they do not need the rest of the body, they can function on their own; they have their own abilities, and not valuing what others are doing.

The truth is there are really no insignificant members of the body. It applies not only in the Church, it applies to the society at large.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home