Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, September 24, 2005

It's okay to be different

By Christopher Lau

My sister and I are different.

My sister likes to eat noodles. I like to eat rice.

My sister likes to read love stories and horror stories. I like adventure and crimes.

My sister likes to play computer games. I like watching TV.

Even our looks are different. My sister is tall and slim. I am short and fat. (Hope I will grow tall too!)

My sister is good in art. I remember quite a few years ago, she said she wanted to be a fashion designer. At that time, I was very jealous of her because every time in the art class, the teacher said my sister's piece was better, so I remarked that she could only be a tailor, not a fashion designer. Recently, my sister said she would want to be a computer graphic designer. This time I think she can be the best GM. GM as in Game Master.

I am not good in art. But, I love drawing.

So, we are different. Because we are different, sometimes we quarrel. We even fight when I was younger. Now, we don’t fight anymore.

Despite the quarrels and fighting, we are the best of friends most of the times. We love each other. We do have some common likes. We both like mummy's pizza, chicken pie and chocolate cake. We want to have a PS2 and have been asking mummy for one, but she has never agreed.

Tomorrow we (me and my friends in Sunday School) shall be presenting a cantata in the church worship services at 7:30 am and 5:00 pm. The title of the cantata is “It’s okay to be different”.

The story is about lions and lambs fighting with each other because of their differences. Lions do not like the way the lambs “meh, meh..” while the lambs do not like the way the lion “gorr, gorr”. So, they are forever fighting. I take the role of Lion 2.

The lions and lambs finally become best of friends and live together in peace and harmony. It is through the teachings of a choir conductor that we really need to accept each other because God makes each one of us different.

I think because we are different, it makes life more interesting. What if my sister and me look exactly the same? Mummy and daddy will have a hard time. They don’t know who likes noodles and who likes rice!

Yan's thoughts - Just the other day after a function with the Association of children with special needs here in my small town called Sibu, I had lunch with some doctors. I confessed that I am the lousiest mother because I travel too often. I don't have time for my two children. One doctor remarked that I should hold video conferencing since the society is now so high-tech. Even so, I always remember the script that I watched during those far-away days like the Little House on the Prairie or The Waltons.

It is so heart-warming even when I recal how the families say goodnight to the children, the family celebrations over victories, the sharing of family empathy over disappointments.

I confess that I have not done enough.

But, I am fortunate to have Chris and Rachel as they are. Enjoy them to be different.

3 comment(s):

Great blogpost as usual Christopher. "We want to have a PS2 and have been asking mummy for one, but she has never agreed." Did you hear that Mum? ;)
Seriously though, PS2s are very distracting and not a good idea to have when you are in school. That's why your Mum has never agreed to get you one I think!

By Blogger dobbs, at 9:47 pm  

Ha, ha, heard that loud and clear. The smart mum will bring them to her sister's place to play for one afternoon during school holidays.

Thanks, Dobbs for your wisdom.

By Blogger Yan, at 12:22 am  

No one is the same except with twins. With time both of you will grow up to be two diffrent individuals. Though diffrent , share some similarity.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home