Yan's Corner - In Touch

Monday, August 15, 2005

Still Counting

When you're down and troubled
and you need some lovin' care
and nothin', nothin' is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest night.

James Taylor’s You’ve Got a Friend describes friendship in a very befitting and warm way.

In life’s journey, we have many friends. When we are weak, the first one we think of may not be family members. Family members may be the ones who care for us most. But, they may not be the ones who understand us most. The one that we run to may not even be our lovers. Lovers may love us most, but they may not be the one whom we want to share our pains with. It’s the trusted friends, the ones whom we can share-anything-with-friends, will be the ones we think of.

If the sky above yougrows dark and full of clouds,
and that old north wind begins to blow.
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door.

It’s friends who would just listen to you. More often than not, we do not need someone to tell us the right from wrong, the morals or the values. It’s just someone who listen to you or just a word or two or just crying with us to get us out of the deep, deep valley.

You just call out my name,
and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there...
You've got a friend.

There is another song that always, always touches me. Simon and Garfunkel’s Brigde Over Troubled Water -

When you’re weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I’m on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can’t be found,
Like a bridge over troubled waterI will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled waterI will lay me down.

When you’re down and out,
When you’re on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
I’ll take your part.
When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled waterI will lay me down.

Sail on silver girl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine
If you need a friendI’m sailing right behind.
Like a bridge over troubled waterI will ease your mind.
Like a bridge over troubled waterI will ease your mind.

Very much inspired by desiderata, I also start counting the friends on the net on this hot afternoon.

I do not have many visitors to my cyberhome. But, I love counting. So, I put a site meter on my site so that I can keep counting. Despite the difference, it takes a friend like Desiderata to keep coming back to my cyberhome. Though I am not counted every time I visit his cyberhome, it also takes a friend like me to keep visiting!

Through Desi, (yes, through Desi) I find the home of kennysia where many linger on for his infamous coconut. As a more “matured” woman (the other way not to say you are old), I followed his postings on his dear late father and lately his posting on Auntie Susan when he blogged for the cause of charity.

I stumbled into the home of fishtail one fine day, the gentleman (yes, gentleman) who teaches me about mother-in-law, daughter-in-law and looking after mother. He would leave his footprints on my home now and then. Thanks, fishtail, though it just does not make sense that a woman should learn about the MIL/DIL issue from a man!

Then, I learn much from the home of the dobbs. She always seems to have an inexhaustible information of interest. From the coolest site to squirrel, she treats each one in hand like her own one in a million. Thanks dobbs for the many footprints that you have left on my life’s path too.

I also find much shelter in the tent. It’s where much inspirations and thoughts were noted for every day’s survival. Thank you, doc, for the handy kit for survival.

Imagination runs wild in this place many many months ago. But, she seems still sorting out boxes! Hey, friend, it has been a long, long time … Oop, just took a peep in her home, she has finished sorting out the boxes. Welcome back!

There are many, many more that I visit, either for the daily dose of inspirations or news. Many a time, it really eases my mind.

Thank you, dear friends for that free access to your home - whether in good times, bad times, troubled, in peace ....


7 comment(s):

yan - in touch:

I'm truly, thoroughly touched!

By Blogger desiderata, at 5:24 pm  

Hey Yan,

Lovely post and beautiful words!!!:)

Thanks for leaving such a comforting and kind comment on my post about my grandfather ...he truly meant (he still does) a lot to me so every nice word that is said on his occasion is truly special for me. Thank you and God bless you.

Gabriela

By Blogger Girl, at 1:01 am  

Thanks, Yan, for the kind words. Keep blogging; you have more readers than you think :)

By Blogger fishtail, at 8:28 am  

Thank you Yan for the lovely thoughts on friendship. "You've got a friend" is one of my favourite all-time songs as well.
I always enjoy reading your thoughts and words of wisdom. Blogging is indeed a great way to keep In Touch! :)

By Blogger dobbs, at 10:46 am  

desi, candy, fishtail, dobbs

Thank you, thank you.

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 1:05 pm  

Yan:

revisiting, I must recommend you try:

Carole King's version of You've Got a Friend -- maybe I'm an MCP, i find hers more elevating thatn John Taylor (tho he wrote the son I believe...)

Then also try Elvis' Like a Bridge Over RTorubled Water ...I ws alos always besotted with the compoosers' treatment until one day I heard the Pelvis' rendering -- has its own attraction and pull ...

Regards, & LikeA BridgeO'erTroubledH2O;)...
From: Desi, Desi, like calling for my fav drinko.

By Blogger desiderata, at 4:36 pm  

Desiderata,

Unfortunately, if I have to call that fav drink, I have to order Desi-kosong. So, desiderata, desiderata - got to get it right.

Will take your recommendations. I like Carole King too, though not so much of Elvis!

Yan

By Blogger Yan, at 4:42 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home