Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

On Merdeka Day

These are thoughts of a little boy on Merdeka Day.

Merdeka

By Christopher Lau, 10

My mother says I am still a very tiny bud. I think small as I am, I am still called a flower. A flower needs to be nourished and guided.

Thank you, my parents, I am protected and guided.
Thank you, Malaysia, the land where I stand.
Thank you, God, I am growing each day.

My classmates and I like to form other meaning with words. Merdeka in our own foochow dialect sounds like "selling pig legs". "Malaysia Boleh" in our foochow dialet sounds like "Don't eat glass".

So, everyday, we shout "Merdeka", "Malaysia Boleh" and the like. We have fun. We have joy. Today, on Merdeka Day, I want to truly say, "Merdeka, Merdeka" in its true meaning.

I want to fly a flag also on my mother's car. I think it is so nice to see the flags flying. But, my mother does not like the idea. She says flying flags does not really show a person's love for the country. True enough. this morning we just passed by a small car with more than 10 flags flying high. They overtook us and the passengers popped out their heads and showed monkey faces to us.

So, I think the flag really flies in our hearts.

We went to the church cleaning this morning. It was a spring cleaning. I see many uncles and aunties happily cleaning the church. I think I see the flags flying in every corner of my church.

I used to like August very much. Why? Because on the first day of the month, it is my birthday, in the middle of August it is my grandfather's birthday, then on the last day of the month, it is my country's birthday. There have been a reason to celebrate on 1st, 15th and 31st. But, my grandfather went back to the home of the Lord last year. Now, August has become a month with a reason to remember my grandfather on the 1st, 15th and 31st.

I remember. I listen. I watch. I learn. I see. I feel. I move. I smell. I touch. I love. I run. I jump. I yell. I sing. I dance. I am not a great person. Malaysia is my country. I am one small star. But, my mother says that's wonderful too.

Happy Merdeka Day.

Best,
Chris

8 comment(s):

Hi, Chris,

You are great!
You are marvellous!
You are super!


Much love,
Auntie Ming

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 pm  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 pm  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 pm  

Hi Chris:

Yes, you are a smAll stAr,

But it is shining -- thanks to the Mummy StAr.

Happy Merdeaka Day!
Take the time to shine more bright to the YoungOnes like Chris
Take the time to lead more right to the NotSoYoung like Yan and Me?

From: 1youngheArted.

By Blogger desiderata, at 11:24 pm  

Very meaningful thoughts Chris. You are going to grow up to be an excellent writer! :)

By Blogger dobbs, at 6:08 pm  

Nice naughty lingerie blog. I found this site that has discount lingerie : **SexyBedroomAttire**

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 pm  

Nice lingerie chest blog. I found this site that has discount lingerie : **SexyBedroomAttire**

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:25 pm  

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 am  

Post a comment

<< Home