Yan's Corner - In Touch

Friday, August 26, 2005

MyKad MyLuck

I applied for MyKad few years back together with my daughter who then qualified to carry an Identity Card reaching the age 12.

I remember it was one fine day when I took a day’s leave specially for this big event. It was a crowd. I specially chosen a light pinkish blouse thinking that I would look a little younger, complexion a little better. When it was my turn, I was disappointed that because of the light colour of my blouse, I have to wear the black jacket made available by the National Registration Department. It was, of course, smelly with thousands of people having used it. No compromise. So, I put the jacket on. Before I have chance to put on a smile, the photo has already been taken. Very efficient.

So, it was done. But, my daughter’s application was not so effectively handled.. She had to go through many tests and trials. Why? Because she was born in Singapore. Though holding a Malaysian citizenship, her application needs clearance from Bukit Aman. She could not have her photo taken at the National Registration Department. I have to send her to outside photo studio to take photograph and bring back the printed copies for processing.

It was such a hassle that the 12-year-old said this, “I am going to hold a press conference for treating me as a second-class citizen.”

Huh? Press conference? Yes, she “threatened”. She must have heard of many press conferences from her mother!

I do not know whether the little girl, now 15, has read this news (from NST) –

Win prizes with MyKad

The Government is holding three lucky draws, with exciting prizes, and all you need is your MyKad.

The 16 million MyKad holders have a chance to win RM350,000 in prizes including a grand prize of a Perodua MyVi worth RM50,000.

Those who do not have a MyKad can quickly get one to be in the running as long as they change their old identity cards by Nov 30.

Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmi Khalid said the move was to encourage the remaining two million Malaysians who have not applied for their MyKad to do so quickly.

"For those who have already received or awaiting their MyKad, all they have to do is wait and see if their number is picked," Azmi said adding that identification numbers would be picked randomly by a computerised system.

Names of winners would be published in local dailies and prizes would be posted to the address listed on the winners’ Mykad.

The monthly lucky draw prizes, to be held in September, October and November, offer a 150cc Suzuki scooter worth RM6,500 and six 29- inch television sets worth RM2,000.

Also included are five flight tickets to Jakarta, six personal computers, seven refrigerators, five video cameras, hand phones, digital cameras, microwave ovens as well as 10 digital video disc players and 20 pressure cookers.

The grand prize draw will be held in December.

The department, he said, would publicise National Registration Departments with fewer applications to make it easier for the public to apply for their MyKad.


WAJ! It’s “What a joke!”, not the young ones’ WXX”. We have to resort to lucky draw to encourage the remaining two million Malaysians to apply their MyKad quickly. What a shame! I type in “lucky draw” in my google search bar and hit the enter key, nay, result – 3,000,000. I type in one more time but this time request to search web in Malaysia only, the result – 8,030. Still a consolation prize that majority of Malaysians do not live by "luck", isn’t it?

If the little girl has read this article, will her little mind wonder whether she is entitled to this one in a 16 million chance?

3 comment(s):

Another way to look at it might be that she is "one in a billion as far as you are concerned." If she does read about it you might find a way to let her know that.

smiles,
me

By Blogger ME Strauss, at 10:59 pm  

Hi! Just giving a shout out to all good bloggers out there. Keep up the good writing work.

I've got a depression site.

It's all related to depression, so if that's something you're looking for, feel free to visit.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 pm  

Hey! was looking around and came across your nice little blog.If you are bored to tears
you can always see my direct satellite tv kind of site if you like direct satellite tv stuff....

By Blogger GandalfUK, at 11:41 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home