Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Great Fathers

Two nights ago, I sent out some emails to wish some great friends who are fathers “Happy Fathers’ Day”. Here is my message –

Thought this is great -

A Dad is respected because he gives his children leadership...
A Dad is appreciated because he gives his children care...
A Dad is valued because he gives his children time...
A Dad is loved because he gives his children the one thing they treasure most - himself.
- Roy Lessin

And sure, you must be a great dad to your children.

I have no dad to wish for "Happy Fathers' Day" anymore. So, I think I should wish all fathers a happy and meaningful day.

Here are the replies in my mail box from some great fathers -

Great friend/father A (a CEO, MNC)
Thanks for the sweet thoughts......I don't have a father too....but I am a father to 3 boys..

Great friend/father P (widely travelled journalist)
This is very kind. I wish I could indeed give more time and myself, but the new job is very, very demanding. I could do better.

I'm sorry that this Father's Day will seem empty for you. It makes me think that I need to show my own dad more respect, appreciation, value and love -- he was always there for me, and still tries, even 12,000 miles away.

My best wishes go to you.

Great friend/father M (professor/educationist)
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Yes I am a father to a 26 year old boy (man?) and a 25 year old girl. I am sorry you have no father but I am sure you have many happy memories of your Dad. They never go away.
You will think of him on Sunday,

Best wishes.

Great friend/father W (a very senior lawyer)
Many thanks for remembering me , though as a father!

Great friend/father Y (a senior doctor)
Thank you. I hope so but I am not really sure I qualify for the adjective "great". I wish I did / do though.

Thank you, dear friends for being true fathers. Congratulations. If you think you have not quite achieved it – go for it. Even if fatherhood is becoming a lost art, be comforted that it can be rediscovered.

In fact, from the little woman's point of view - The greatest gift a child can have is a father who loves and respects the mother and does not tolerate disobedience or disrespect on the part of their children. In our confused society, children need this living example of a true husband and father.

I do not wish to upset you on Fathers’ Day, so I am writing this a day earlier with this quote from Robert Fulghum -

"Don’t worry that your children never listen to you. Worry that they are always watching you."

But, I would like to include also a little poem from a boy writing about his father -

My dad is the man. Do you understand?
He gives me all the love he can…
My dad wants me to learn in school:
He thinks that learning is real cool.
For my birthday he gave me a bike,
He knew just what I would like.
Every week he sends me mail.
My love for dad will never fail…
One day my dad and I will see
the Rocky Mountain snow.
We’ll find some gold,
more than we can ever hold.
We’ll take it home to mom:
“Look, mom, at this gold!”
We’ll trade all this gold to get my dad home…
Even though I may not see my dad again,
My dad will always be my best friend.

1 comment(s):

Ah yes, and lovely wishes to grandfathers and fathers-in-law too :) Even step-fathers.

By Blogger fishtail, at 4:22 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home