Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, May 21, 2005

I am Miri

My two journalists are featured in the “I am Miri”. “I am Miri” is a series of “faces” being featured in the celebrations of Miri elevating to City Status on 20.05.2005. The faces chosen are based on races and professions.

I am very impressed by this series of advertisements with just two faces everyday labeled with names, race and profession and “I am Miri”.

Yes, a city is all about people, isn’t it not? A story was told of an old man who was sitting at the entrance of a city. He was approached by two men and he gave him totally different opinion about the city.

The first young man approach him and asked:

“I am not from here. Tell me old man, how are the people of this city?”

Instead of answering his question, the old man asked:

“In the city where you come from, how were the people?”

The young man responded,

“Egotistic and wicked, so much so that I could no longer take it. That is why I prefer to leave.”

The old man then said, "Pity, my dear. I shall advise you to continue on your way. People here are equally wicked and all are egotistic."

A little later, another young man approached the same old man and said:

"Greetings to you who is wise with age! I should like tosettle down in this place. Tell me, how are the people wholive in this town?"

And, the old man asked him:"Tell me first, where from do you come, and how were the people there?"

The young man said in an enthusiastic voice: "Honest, good, and welcoming! I had only friends there, and oh how I was pained to leave them!"

The old man said:

"Well, here, you will also find only honestpeople, welcoming, and full of kindness."

A merchant who was watering his camels not far from these exchanges and had heard all, asked the old man:

"How is it possible, old man, who I know tobe wise, to give two truthful, but diametrically opposite, replies to the same question? Is it a case of April Fools?"

"My son," said the old man, "Each one carries, in his heart, his own universe. And, that is what he will find every place he goes.Therefore, regardless where he goes, that will always be what he finds."

I am Miri, I am honest people, welcoming, and full of kindness. Shall we wish “I am Miri” such a city with each one carries in his heart – honesty, welcoming, integrity, kindness?

1 comment(s):

Hi, not even a little envious that Miri is ahead of Sibu?

You should ask the BN Visionary Team in Sibu - when, when, when Sibu will become a city?

Good story, Yan.

lw

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home