Yan's Corner - In Touch

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Never Eat Alone

I do not like eating alone. At home, we make it a point that we eat together.

When I go traveling, I eat with friends. I especially enjoy eating with Sandra, my good friend. Why? Because we both enjoy food. Whenever we eat together, we order a little of various specialities of the restaurant. And for a while we forget about the calories, we finish all the food.

I also enjoy eating with two young friends. And for a while I enjoy taking care of these two young friends.

Fellowship means people – imperfect but definitely important fellow travellers on the highway travelling together. Eating together has always been an important part of fellowship and friendship. The warmth, the handshake, the smile, the showing of loving concern for each other … are all parts of eating together.

Well, I have just finished reading the book, “Never Eat Alone” by Keith Ferrazzi. In smaller prints it reads “and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time”. The covers also reads, “The ultimate net worker reveals how to build a lifelong community of colleagues, contacts, friends and mentors.”

So, you know it’s not a book on food. I pick up three points from the book. The three points may not be the most important ones, but it’s something to remember –

People naturally care, generally above and beyond anything else, about what it is they do… if you are informed enough to step comfortably into their world and talk knowledgeably, their appreciation will be tangible… as William James wrote “the deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated”

A shared meal in your own home is a powerful way to comfort, nurture, and connect people.

Consider writing articles for publications. Articles provide a terrific environment for meeting anyone anywhere, Tthe odds will never be stacked so clearly in your favour. Consider sharing credit and offering a byline to the person who becomes most helpfu. Welcome their co-authorship… by article’s end, whether it’s been published or not, you’ve managed to learn a great deal and to meet a group of important people who potentially might be important to your future.

Don’t eat alone. Martin Luther said, “Shun solitude. Eve got into trouble when she walked in the garden alone. I have my worst temptations when I am by myself.”

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home