Yan's Corner - In Touch

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Fairy Tale

My teenage daughter, Rachel has never like Chinese songs. A week ago, she came back with a VCD by a singer called “Kuang Liang”. The song is “Fairy Tale”. Both of my children did not believe in the stories of the “fairy tales” when they were young. They were more delighted by the reading by their mummy and the delightful words. However, for the past one week, Rachel, Chris (my 9-year old son) and myself listened to the song over and over again.

Incidentally, I read this story.

AFP reported on April 22 that –

Young girls who enjoy classic romantic fairy tales like “Cinderella” and “Beauty and the Beast” are at greater risk of becoming victims of violent relationships in later life, a British researcher says.

The academic paper was written by Susan Darker-Smith. She found that many abuse victims identified with characters in famous children’s literature.

These victims believe that if their love is strong enough they can change their partner’s behaviour. And they tend to be more submissive in their future relationships.

Submit. The very word invokes negative images. But for Christians, submission is a lifestyle choice. We submit to God’s Word. We submit to God’s righteousness. We submit to the government. We submit to one another in the family unit. We submit to Jesus as head of the church. We submit to God’s discipline. We submit to leadership. We submit to our boss.

Relationships are about power struggle. To submit is to show deference to others. To submit is to respect others.

Submission is not a sign of weakness. It shows self-discipline and strength of character.

There is no reason that we should deprive our children of children literature for fear that they will be submissive in future relationships.

But on this World Book Day, will you read with me this very beautiful piece by Shel Silverstein that was read by my children over and over …

THE GIVING TREE
Once there was a giving tree who loved a little boy.
And everyday the boy would come to play
Swinging from the branches, sleeping in the shade
Laughing all the summer’s hours away.
And so they love, Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon the boy grew older and one day he came and said,
"Can you give me some money, tree, to buy something I’ve found?"
"I have no money," said the tree, "
Just apples, twigs and leaves."
"But you can take my apples, boy, and sell them in the town.
"And so he did and Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon again the boy came back and he said to the tree,
"I’m now a man and I must have a house that’s all my home."
"I can’t give you a house" he said,
"The forest is my house."
"But you may cut my branches off and build yourself a home"
And so he did.
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And time went by and the boy came back with sadness in his eyes.
"My life has turned so cold," he says,
"and I need sunny days."
"I’ve nothing but my trunk," he says,
"But you can cut it down
And build yourself a boat and sail away."
And so he did and Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And after years the boy came back, both of them were old.
"I really cannot help you if you ask for another gift."
"I’m nothing but an old stump now. I’m sorry but I’ve nothing more to give"
"I do not need very much now, just a quiet place to rest,"
The boy, he whispered, with a weary smile.
"Well", said the tree,
"An old stump is still good for that."
"Come, boy", he said, "Sit down, sit down and rest a while."
And so he did
and Oh, the trees was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

2 comment(s):

The story about the tree and the boy serves as a metaphor about loyalty abd friendship. Isn't it wonderful to know that somebody will always give you the best without expecting too much? That at the end of the day, when you need some moments of quietness, he is there for you waiting. And, you can just lay your head down and have a good rest.
All of us regardless of who we are and how established are we in life at the end of the day, all we want is for somebody to love us unconditionally.

By Anonymous Angela Chia, at 1:19 pm  

I seriously did not listen to the song 'over & over again'. & besides i never 'said i disliked chinese songs... just not the type you listen to...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 am  

Post a comment

<< Home