Yan's Corner - In Touch

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Words not said

This is taken from an older Danish novel called Borderliners, by Peter Hoeg:

“I did not say much, nor was it necessary. She sat on the box, leaning forward, and listened to me, even to my pauses. She heard everything, even things I did not say. We sat there and I knew this was how it felt to be totally accepted. You sit close to another person and are understood, everything is understood and nothing is judged and you are indispensable.”

I like that! Someone heard everything, even words not said. Someone listen, even to the pauses between words! Isn’t it wonderful?

But, in real world, it’s often not so. Words need to be said. Not only that, they need to be said loud and clear.

We have two children, aged 14 and 9. They are growing up in a “newspaper friendly” environment. They have access to newspapers, three locals and two nationals, English and Chinese.

Over the weekend, during my trip to the supermarket with my children, I was amazed by the children’s knowledge of the different promotions and marketing campaigns of different consumer goods. When asked, they almost said at the same time – mummy only read newspapers, newspapers don’t talk. These products are said in the television. Cool words are used to describe them. When these brands are sponsored by the online games we play, there are sounds too.

Yes, my children know all these products better than the titles of the newspapers that enter our house each morning. The newspapers have been there, day in, day out, ever since there were born.

Philip Yancey, in his book, “What’s so amazing about grace”, wrote, “As a writer, I play with words all day long. I toy with them, listen for their overtones, crack them open, and try to stuff my thoughts inside.”

Listen. Yes, he says he listens for the overtones of words. He stuff his thoughts inside. The words become his thoughts. His thoughts, his words. His words come alive!

3 comment(s):

Words not said ... so true that sometimes among friends, it's merely a twinkle of the eye, a soft touch or that fleeting smile that says more than a thousand words. Also reminds me of "Glo placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there is in silence ...", from my favourite poet.

I'm now hoping to use your rumination substantially ffor my Sunday's Desiderata.english.

By Blogger desiderata, at 8:36 am  

Just amending quote from Max Ehrmann in previous post: Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence .." Apologies -- one mistake arising from trying to rely on my memory recall!

I had some help in blogging publicity from mackzul of brandmalaysia.com; today's post relates. Yan, it's well worth a visit to his site. Chow.

By Blogger desiderata, at 1:30 pm  

Words can sometimes be dangerous and hurtful when uttered carelessly. Yet, words can also be healing and soothing when said lovingly.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home