Yan's Corner - In Touch

Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Little Prince

The Little Prince Posted by Hello

My 9-year old son still very much likes to listen to bedtime stories. We read “The Little Prince” last night.

I have two books, one in Chinese and one in English. These are two of my most prized possessions. Sometimes, I read it as a simple children’s tale. But, most of time I find it profound and philosophic.

The journey of the Little Prince was in itself a journey through life. Every character he met was actually among one of us. Do we have among us a king who exercised his authority with reason? Do we have a businessman who claimed that he owned all the stars because no one actually owned the stars and that he was the first to think of owning them? A vain man who wanted to hear praises from everyone?

The lessons the Little Prince were lessons we need to learn too. The value of friendship taught by the fox.. Are we not to learn from these wise words – It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye?

If you had read the Little Prince when you were a child, read it again, you will be inspired …

2 comment(s):

Men measure his wealth in terms of monetary gain. Few would think that thinking otherwise is sane.

A year ago, I visited my cousin in Thailand. I was shocked There she was, standing right in front of me, a very simple lady who survived on whatever the church gives to her. In return, she goes out to the mountain to help the poor. I could not believe my eyes because this cousin of mine was some sort of a party girl who really goes for the material stuff.

But the most surprising part of it is that she's utterly happy and she's never lack of anything because she is always surrounded by friends who always drop by her place to make sure that she and her husband are never lacking of anything be it food or anything else!

Hmm...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 pm  

I re-read this after your comment in my "To Teachers With Love". All too often, it's little children who touch us deeply with their words becuase they speak naturally with no restraint -- yes, speaking from the heart.

Mothers, fathers will always enjoy with their children such bedtime stories, and my favourite quote from The Little Prince: "And now here's my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

By Blogger desiderata, at 12:35 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home