Yan's Corner - In Touch

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Lawyers' Words

My 9-year-old son wants to be lawyer when he grows up. He said so when he was in Primary one. Since then, he has not changed his mind. I have always thought that he wants to be a lawyer because one girl in his class has the habit of "threatening" other classmates that her parents are lawyers and the classmates would be sued by her parents if they are not nice to her. My son says she is proud, while I find that amusing. This is children's world.

But, certainly I am wrong. My son has his own impression of lawyer, despite the fact that the most often heard word is "sue you". Recently, we played a word game. He was to give me words that he thinks are related to "lawyer". Here are his list of words:

Justice
Compassionate
Fair
Humble
Verdict
Innocent
Guilty
Committed
Noble
Anger

I was particulary interested in the word "Anger". "Are lawyers angry people?", I asked him.

No, lawyers are angry people only when they see injustices against others. That's a 9-year-old version of anger.

I have an encounter with an angry lawyer today. People are certainly angrier today than ever before in history. Anger is increasing so drastically that it is becoming safety factor. Are these your concerns? Road rage, air rage, sports rage - and I call the anger of this lawyer - court rage!

But, as I write this tonight, as I recal a child's words of lawyers, I am reminded of these verses from the Bible -

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.... Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. - Luke 6:27, 37

Thank you, my young boy, for your lesson of "righteous anger". I want to to add to your list of words connected with lawyers -

Forgiving
Delightful
Wise
Servant leader
God-fearing

6 comment(s):

When I was a young girl, still in school, on the verge of loosing everything, a lawyer came forward to rescue me and my family. He was non other than Mr. Lee Chuang Eng of Ee & Lim Advocates. The only payment I could give him was a cheap thank you card. That was almost 28 years ago.
An act of kindness from a lawyer who was a total stranger to us. Since then, I'll always think of him & his wife with kindness and gentle thoughts.
To me, this lawyer was an angel in disguise.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 pm  

Indeed there are kind souls around. And I know, with your forgiving spirit, your son will become an "angry lawyer" - a lawyer who is only angry when there are injustices around, and he will turn his righteous anger into something great.

By Anonymous lw, at 7:19 am  

Hi Yan:

You must be mighty proud of your 9-year-old lawyer-to-be. I really hope he realises his ambition, and our country will be richer for it, and I remain optimistic for Malaysia's future.

'Cos you know why -- lawyers don't enjoy too good a reputation worldwide, before, now or ...(I hope not in the future).

I recount here a fictitious "popular" yarn to illustrate the why more:
A elderly tycoon on his deathbed summoned hiw lawyer, and asked him the best way to get him a law degree. Following his lawyer;s counsel, the tycoon wrote out a cheque for a large contribution to the body that could enable him (the tycoon) to be elevated to his friend's status.

The following day, on handing over the scroll, the lawyer whispered close to the old man's ears: May I know why do you so desperately want this degree, spending a million bucks for just a piece of paper."

"My friend, it gives me immense satisfaction to know when I say my last goodbye, there will be one less lawyer in this world!" was his whispered but regal reply.

This is just to lighten up the day. We need to practise Dr Miller's Laughterhealthtip.

PS: Pls Email me the Anwar's speech referred to in a later post. Tks.

By Blogger desiderata, at 5:53 pm  

Great work!
[url=http://jymgerts.com/drmt/ceyc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rhoogplr.com/ojmf/oyhw.html]Cool site[/url]

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 pm  

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 pm  

Great work!
http://jymgerts.com/drmt/ceyc.html | http://qvwgdcwb.com/dzed/woyn.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home